Skip to Content to homepage

Food safety in your business

Do I need a food safety program?

All food businesses that have been classified by council as class 1 or class 2 must have a food safety program. Food businesses that have been classified by council as either a class 3 or class 4 do not require a food safety program.


What if I can't find one of my food processes in the practices?

If a food handling practice undertaken in your business is not inlcuded in FoodSmart, you may need an independent food safety program. Contact your local council environmental health officer (EHO) for help.


FoodSmart technical issues

What is FoodSmart?

FoodSmart is a food safety program template. You can use this template to create a standard food safety program for your class 2 food retail or food service business.


How do I change my email address?

A link to the 'edit my profile' page can be found in the footer of the page after you have logged in.


I've forgotten my password

Use the 'Forgot your password?' link on the login page.


What happens if I forget to save my food safety program?

If you have created an account, login and go to 'My food safety programs', all food safety programs created are saved there. If you did not create an account your food safety program is not retreivable and you will need to create a new one.


Can I update my food safety program?

Your food safety program can be updated by following these steps:

  • Go to 'My food safety prgrams'
  • Select 'Update' under the actions menu
  • Redo the questionaire and your new answers will ensure your program is updated.

Am I required to log in or create an account?

You can create a food safety program without creating an account and can download and print your tailored food safety program before you leave the site. However, if you do not create an account you will not be able to save or update your food safety program once you leave the site.



How do I provide feedback?

Email your feedback to or call the hotline number on 1300 364 352. 


Who should use FoodSmart?

Any food retail or food service business classified as a class 2 food businesses (except meat, seafood and dairy businesses, such as a butcher, or fishmonger) can use FoodSmart to build a food safety program. Your council can advise of your food business classification. Class 2 food retail and food service businesses are those that handle and sell potentially hazardous foods that need temperature control, such as restaurants, fast food outlets, pubs, caterers, delicatessens, supermarkets with delicatessens, cafes.


Back to top